Ray Harryhausen

 Yay we broke the 10,000 views mark! I'll be handing in my notice at work later this week but until then this amazing mile stone coincides with something just as awesome. Earlier this year I discovered that the Edinburgh museum of modern art was having the largest exhibition of Ray Harryhausen work ever displayed. Never thought I'd be in a modern art museum but here I was driving over three hours to get there and in a pink shirt no less. 

I'm sure alot of people in this hobby were inspired by the Harryhausen movies they are certainly something that has stuck with me over the years. The opportunity to see the models first hand and learn more about the processes involved was something I couldn't pass up. I have to admit it's been more than a few years since I watched any of his movies so that's something I need to rectify. 

Not much more to say so here are the pictures. 

This is definitely where my love of skeletons came from the scene where they are fighting is one of the greatest in cinema history.

Hive tyrant? This had the potential to be an amazing movie.

The kraken!


He's a good boy really.

War of the worlds! Unfortunately I never took any pictures of Harry's interpretation of the Martians there were four different versions I think.

First men in the moon. I'm also a fan of classic Sci fi books so I've read the story but never seen the movie. I'll need to look it up there was movies to buy at the museum but I'm sure the Internet will provide.

Cowboys and dinosaurs what more do you want?



Allosaurus I think. 


I wasn't expecting it when I went but the artwork on display was a real highpoint of the visit for me. I think being unable to draw myself I really appreciate the ability to capture a scene on paper.

Calibos such an amazing concept, I have to wonder if GW used him as inspiration for the Khorne blood stoker.


Madura featured in clash of the titans is probably my favourite with the skeletons coming a close second. Her scene has stuck with me since I first saw it, she was the real hero of the movie. 


Least favourite character.








How great was this guy? Really saved the day its just a pity he never got a happy ending. 










Thanks for reading. 

Comments

Popular Posts