Chaos week 2

 Two weeks in and I’m still on the first unit. It’s possible I over estimated how much painting time I would have over the holidays. 

The warriors as they currently stand. 

Things have been progressing slowly and steadily with the warriors and I now finally have decided on the colour scheme I’ll be using, better late than never right? I was very close to reverting back to my original idea of orange cloaks to match my basing idea after laying down the base coat of violet and really not liking it. 

The disappointing base coat which almost turned orange. 

Luckily I decided to paint up one of the cloaks to see how it looked and once all the layers and glaze were on I was happy with the result. This was my first time using war colours paints which takes a little getting used to. Overall I’m happy with them and will probably pick up more in future although I did have some issues. The coverage is poor with even the one coat needing about three to get a solid colour which is more an issue with my painting style than the paints. The one coat is also similar to violet 1 where I would have preferred it to be closer to violet 3 it seems like a better place to start from. The only disappointment I had was with the transparent colour. I was expecting it to have a glaze like consistency which could be used straight from the bottle but it was almost identical to violet 5. Luckily I tested it on a small section of cloak so it was quickly corrected and I replaced it with a glaze of Shyish purple so that’s their realm sorted. While trying to decide how to paint the cloaks I had a go at wet blending with war colours and it went really well. It would still need a couple of coats but it was quick and easy to do. 

Test cloak. 

I remember a hobby cheating video by Vince Venturella on painting cloaks I saw a while ago that I wanted to try however while watching it he mentions a few times how labour intensive it is and the requirement for a fine pointed brush. I don’t have the patience for that and my synthetics are not ideal for fine lines so I decided to try stippling. I had already used this technique a little on the straps which turned out nice so why not give it a go on a larger area? The test cloak went fine although it does look a little like rough edge highlighting however experience has taught me how bad I am at painting large areas of cloth so I’ve no doubt that this looks better then it would have done. 

A rather poor picture of the detail on the straps. 

And that’s all I got done this week. I’ve started doing the cloaks in batches of five so I can actually see some progress. Doing all ten seemed like a good idea at the start when I was doing large areas of armour but I really need to see progress to keep myself motivated. I still have to finalise a basing scheme which might be my autumn idea or something to represent shyish. With any luck these bad boys should be finished next week. 


Thanks for reading. 

Comments

Popular Posts