Uludd one eye

Inspiration can be found in many places such as the sun setting the sky on fire on a summers night, a child’s laughter or in this case a Facebook argument. I’ve owned this mini for years but never got around to painting him until I got caught up in whether he had one eye or two. I’d always assumed two and checking him out on solegends that’s what he had, I needed a definitive answer to the mystery. Checking out the unpainted mini on first glance he does appear to have two eyes after priming and studying the mini though it was clear to me that he had just the one. A one eyed orc also seemed more fun and interesting to paint so that was it decided.

Ruglud

Being covered in chaos armour I thought he would make a good test model for my warriors of chaos army. I started with a spray of lead belcher then covered him in basilicanum gray. This is as far as my warriors have gotten so now it was time to work out the highlights. Using the scale 75 metallics I worked up from black metal to speed metal which has turned out far to bright. I think my options going forward would be to use black metal as a first edge highlight then only do a second one or do the same as I did here but then glaze on more bass gray. Since the first option is quicker and easier to fix that’s what I’m going to go with. 
I can’t remember why I went with the purple although there is purple in the metallic set I was using so probably just went with that and I think it worked out fine. The boots didn’t really look right while I was painting him up they clashed with the rest of the mini. I chose that colour originally because it’s what I was using to paint the base and I was hoping once the base was done there would be enough difference between them that they would blend in better. Writing that down it seems incredibly counter intuitive but I had some idea of what I wanted. I was toying with the idea of painting over them with the Slaanesh paints which are a gray purple to try and tie the boots into the rest of the mini but once again lazyness paid off. There was already some bone colour on my pallet so I mixed it in for the highlights and being a red brown it ended up being a pink/purple colour which was good enough for me. 
The base is also a trial for the warriors and while I may tweak some things it seems fine. I was planning on using snow for the warriors which I think will work as they will be getting blue capes but Uludd was to warm for that so ended up with some teabag scattered around. I’m not sure how teabag and snow will work out so another test base might be in order. 


The other mystery surrounding Uludd is who he actually is. The tab says Uludd but the name is never mentioned in the regiment list. With his double handed sword he looks like he fits the description of Gudruk Bonechewer. A five minute google search hasn’t turned up any new information so I’ve decided that he earned his name changing it from a common orc name to something more suitable for the leader of a famous mercenary company.




Thanks for reading. 

Comments

Popular Posts