Lord of the rings cave troll

As you might expect I’m a fan of ‘Lord of the rings’ and one day hope to visit Hobbiton. My first experience with LOTR was during my first year of university and the monthly bus journey to visit the old folks. My journey usually consisted of classic sci-fi or R.A Salvatore until one day I decided to try out some classic fantasy. With low expectations I made my first journey into middle Earth, I think it might be the quickest I’ve ever read a book. Since then it’s became one of very few books I will reread every so often. The movies also get watched more than most only losing out to Aliens but that might change once my daughter is old enough to watch them.

Lord of the rings cave troll

Knowing her dadddy is a fan this Father’s Day I received a cave troll. Charlotte is really good to me in this regard quite happily working down the pit earning enough money to buy me something awesome despite only being 23 months old.


Being the cool on the pulse kind of guy I am the troll was painted using GWs new contrast paints which I can now say from experience totally live up to the hype! I’m quite pleased with the paint job using mostly the scale 75 doom set which has some great Lovecraft inspired paint names. I tried out some mixing and blending on the flesh and although it needs more practise I think it’s a good start. His mace turned out to be bit of a mess. I wanted it to look like a dark rusted metal but I should have watched some videos on weathering powder before trying it out. I tidied it up the best I could but time was to tight for a repaint. The base is meant to look like a dark forest using the Luke’s APS basing material, some leafs I got free with a basing set I bought years ago and never used and a spiky bush from gamers grass. Contrast paints? Oh yeah I used some skeleton hordes on the nails when I couldn’t find my sepia, worked great.


The reason I was rushed in this paint job is so I can meet my monthly deadline for the blog so it is serving it’s purpose as a source of motivation. For the last couple of months I’ve been unable to stick to one project jumping from mini to mini and never getting anything done. The troll was a great kick in the ass as it gave some much needed focus so hopefully I can start to clear out the backlog of half painted minis.


In other news it turns out there is a gaming community only a 40 minute drive from my house. I found out about them through Facebook doing a kill team tournament. I decided at the time I wouldn’t be able to buy the rules and have some minis painted in time but would go round to check it out. Unfortunately I never got there but I have bought the rules and if I’m not working I will sign up for the next one. I have also decided on tempestuous scions but I won’t be buying any minis until after I’ve recovered for next months visit to Warhammer world.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular Posts