Grom the Paunch

The year was 1990 something when I picked up the warhammer 4th edition box set. I had already been painting for a few years getting some practice in on the hero quest gribblies so quickly got started on the goblins. There was two reasons for this the first being that elf’s are rubbish and need a good kicking. The second was the artwork for Grom the Paunch a big green bad ass on a chariot pulled by three wolfs. At the time there was no way I could afford the amazing kit but thanks to GWs  made to order service and a reckless disregard for mortgage payments I was able to get a brand new one this year.

Grom the Paunch


Painting him was interesting. I thought the body of the chariot would be the worst part I’ve never been to sure about doing wood but I have found a way I’m happy with. The wolves were a nightmare though.  I figured a quick dry brush and wash would be easy enough but it never looked right the final ones are my third attempt and I’m still not that happy with them. The banner is also a second attempt job. There was nothing wrong with the first but halfway through I changed my mind on what I wanted. Using Orlygg’s method here as a guide I quickly knocked out a new one. This was the first banner I had ever painted so being something I’m happy with should be a good incentive to do more in future.



Grom was a doddle being essentially a green dwarf (heresy?). I thought about painting his axe tassel thing red it didn’t look right though so it was up to Nibblet to bring a bit of colour to the mini.




Another great thing about Grom is that he invaded Ulthuan which was a fantastic bit of fluff. Over time I over came my prejudices towards elves. After reading the dark elf army book they became one of my favourite factions and although I put off reading the high elf’s till last its easily the one that grabbed my attention the most and stuck with me. I don’t think I’ve ever painted up an elf since the days when I bought up all the boxes of monopose plastics, I’ll have to pick one up sometime.



Thanks for reading. 

Comments

Popular Posts