Grimwald Calaco

I’ve painted up the first character for my interpretation of ‘Terror of the Lichemaster’. Bit of a departure from the original but I think it works.

Otherworld miniatures human fighter
My version of Grimwald Calaco 

With the board. Not sure which I prefer. 

The official Grimwald was taken from the C04 series of thieves so hopefully he should be easy enough to pick up if I ever decide to collect the originals. He is described as a Brettonian anarchist and refugee fleeing from the authorities after an abortive assassination attempt on the mayor of Quenelles. Going by that description the thief mini would be a better fit for the character than my choice and otherworld make some great rogues so why the change?


His equipment was the main reason. He should have plate mail with a sword and shield, throwing knifes and a bomb. I figured he replaced his sword with an axe and keeps the bomb in his backpack. Going by his gear I think the mini does a good job of representing Grimwald and his helm looks like something a Brettonian badass would wear unfortunately his armour isn’t reflected in his armour save.


I kept the painting simple deciding to avoid giving him patterned trousers although I did try some free hand on the shield. It took a couple of attempts and it’s definitely something I need to work on I’ve no idea how people do work that detailed. I’m happy with how the armour turned out the paint on the trousers and boots seems a little thick though.  Normally I would have been happy with the base seemed like a good idea to throw some colour on an otherwise quite muted model. Unfortunately I recently started watching Vince Venturella videos including one about matching colours on the base with the mini so that’s something I’ll have to consider in future.

The original Grimwald. Picture from the collecting citadel miniatures website. 
I also made up a little flock board for taking photos. It was a quick job first thing in the morning as a way to make taking pictures easier and to practice flocking which is something I’d like to do more of in the future. I learned that less is more and I probably should have stopped adding flock sooner than I did. Should do the job and practice is never a bad thing. Update: After asking on the devious dungeons Facebook group I decided against using it.

Grimwald’s AoS rules.

Attacks - 2
To hit - 3+
To wound - 4+
Save - 5+
Wounds - 2

Bomb does D6 hits wounding on a 3+

For the knifes I’m thinking 6” range on a 3+, 5+.


Thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular Posts