The beginnings of Terror

It’s the start of a new project which I’m sure I said I wouldn’t be doing a couple of posts ago. The idea is to recreate the classic scenario ‘Terror of the Lichemaster’ using otherworld minis so I can play a game with my daughter when she’s old enough. Why this scenario and minis? Well I’m a big fan of the undead with the 2nd Krell mini being one of the first I owned. I loved his model and the back story really spoke to my younger self, I couldn’t tell you how often I read the 4th ed undead book. A scenario based on his origin story is ideal even if it is named after his lackey. It also has a relatively low model count when compared to ‘orcs drift’ or ‘McDeath’ so finding unique minis for each character and villager shouldn’t be to difficult. Skeletons and zombies will have to make do but I’m fine with that.

I’m hoping that it will be easy enough to learn with the first battle only requiring 6 dwarfs or 20 skeletons in a fight to the death. Dwarfs or skeletons I envy the choices she will have to make. I’m not to sure about the battle at the farm I will need to find a report online to see how it should work. Also, those of a nervous Oldhammer disposition should look away now, I’m going to AoS the rules. The scenario is more of a skirmish than a mass battle so it makes sense to make it as simple as possible to learn. I may also change some of the place names. We already live in a valley and Mortlach sounds about right for a story about the undead. I’m hoping familiar place names will make it more engaging.


If this was a dedicated Oldhammer blog this is the part where I would be discussing various remortgage options so I could buy Heinrich Kemler and Mikeal Jacsen (she wouldn’t get the reference anyway). As it is I will be turning to my favourite company otherworld miniatures who have a great line of npc’s and after a look over the site I think they can cover most of the characters. I have a few years to get this done so there’s no need to rush out and buy everything at once and more appropriate models may be released in time. I’m also replacing one of the village archers with a witch shooting out magic bolts because the model is cool and it adds a little more variety to the story of the village. There’s a good chance of her being called Nanny Ogg.


So I have the rules and the minis sorted all that leaves is the battlefield. What I would like to do is build a modular board that could be stored away easily in the garage. My only concern is that this will be a one time thing (if that) and that would be a lot of time and money wasted. Being honest the time doesn’t bother me as I would enjoy building it the money is another matter though. The cost of materials and something to store the boards safely in would soon add up and seeing it unused would be somewhat depressing. I may end up using green felt that’s a decision for another day.


I’ll also need to decide on which type of buildings to use. I’ve already narrowed it down to two. Either hand made http://realmofchaos80s.blogspot.com/2014/09/old-school-fantasy-cottage-with.html?m=0 which I’m hoping my building and painting skills can do justice to or table top world.  I would be happy with either so I may have to try my hand at building one to see how it turns out.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular Posts