Radagast the Brown

I don’t normally strip minis once I’ve started painting them but Radagast really kicked my ass. Sometimes I put off painting until I feel confident enough to do the mini justice or come up with a colour scheme I like. Radagast had both of these problems plus he was a gift from my rabbit loving wife so the pressure was on to do an amazing paint job.
My first attempt sucked. The wood on the sleigh looked wrong and I had tried to paint the rabbits in the style of Riley which looked good but out of place. Under a black cloud of despair I locked Radagast and his rabbits away for over a year.

Riley eating breakfast 
Last year I decided to try making a wire tree after watching Luke’s APS on YouTube which you can read about here. It looked pretty good and I then remembered about Radagast. Even if the paint job sucked a massive tree would draw focus away from him so into the dettol he went. A quick note on finecast, lots of flash, extra bits needing snipped away and a lot of warping. The second paint job on the sleigh turned out a lot better by sticking to natural colours. Radagast was a pain though I waned to stick with the natural colours but also needed him to stand out from the sleigh. In the end I tried for something in between but the results aren’t what I hoped they would be.

After my flocks arrived and I repeatedly watched Luke’s flocking videos I set about flocking the base. I’m not going to go into details when I can link the video. The stream was built up with vallejo still water and agrax earth shade topped off with some modpodge gloss for texture. That’s about it the base turned out great, I’m really happy with it and using a good quality flock has made a big difference compared to my last terrain piece. The pine forest cover is amazing.

Radagast the Brown on sleigh


Radagast the Brown on sleigh



Lose flock has since been removed.











Thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular Posts