The new year 2021

I don’t think anyone saw the pandemic coming but the really important thing is how did Covid-19 affect my painting progress. Well in a year of lock downs with people painting whole army’s I worked right through and in fact lost time covering those who had to isolate. The good news is no one I know has suffered a virus related loss although I do know people who have contracted it. But enough of that how did the painting go?

My favourite pant job of the year. 

This year I painted up 39 minis and bought a grand total of 45, the worst year on record, leaving my painting debt at 54. So how did this happen? At the start of the year I decided it would be the year of big things and broke out the frigate I’d been putting off painting for some time it then swiftly kicked my ass. I’d bought a can of purple spray paint from B&Q thinking that it would get the large areas done quickly which it did but also clogged up a lot of the details. The paint really wasn’t suitable and although I sprayed outside I let it dry in the kitchen, the next day I ended up with a purple tint to the lino. So that took me all the way to the middle of March with only 3 minis painted luckily I’d started on my skaven blood bowl team. 

While I never got much done this year I do feel like I accomplished a lot and that’s all down to the skaven. Being able to start and complete a project in a few months was a massive boost for me and I still smile every time I see them in the display case. It was also my incentive to start on the slaves to darkness set making the whole thing seem less intimidating. 

So where do I stand on my plans for the year? I only painted one dwarf which won’t be a part of the army but it was Gotrek. No otherworld miniatures were painted but a few were bought. I did paint a blood bowl team which is great. Originally I had wanted to do a kill team, which I had started on, but with no evidence of an event upcoming last year I switched to blood bowl as I found out about a weekend event just over an hours drive from me. That’s when the lock down kicked in and all plans were off.  

She almost broke me, ended up stripping the spray paint from the crew and repainting over the rest. 

This year I want to finish an age of Sigmar army. I’ve already started on the slaves to darkness and I have an entire ogre force ready for painting so hopefully I’ll get one of them done. I also bought a few more fantasy adventurers despite saying I wouldn’t and at the moment I’m working on Alarielle so as long as I get her done before March I’ll be happy. I’ll probably get to foundry and GW, I won’t make BOYL and I may go to an event if work, and my own introverted nature, allows it. 

Thanks for reading. 

Comments

Popular Posts