Gotrek and Felix

Gotrek and Felix a mighty pair! That’s what the guy working at GW Aberdeen said some time in the early 90s and he was right. It was my first visit to a GW store, all my previous purchases had been from mail order or the semi local toy store, so what else would I buy? I had stared at pictures of Gotrek and Felix from WD and the dwarf army book for hours they had to be in my collection. Of everything I painted back then it’s these two that stand out I remember being really proud of what I achieved. Felix’s trousers were the area I was not looking forward to as I had no idea how they were able to paint such fine details as the stripes but I was determined to try and in my mind I succeeded. Surely I was destined for a job in the eavy metal team.

Gotrek and Felix



25 to 30 years later I can say with some certainty that’s not going to happen, luckily I enjoy the job I ended up in. These aren’t those original minis which sadly either got given away, lost or melted into fishing weights. What’s a life without regrets? When I got back into painting I made sure to pick these two up from eBay but it wasn’t until the lockdown sparked an oldhammer resurgence that I was inspired to get them painted. I can honestly say that it was the most fun I’ve had painting for a while. I’m still not quite up to eavy metal standards but I did get the stripes painted. I used the original paint jobs as a guide and I think it paid off otherwise Gotrek would never have gotten fancy trousers and a blue eye patch.

Gotrek


Some of the details are a little soft and I still struggle to paint beards and capes but I’m very happy with the finished minis. The one criticism I have is that I tried a new way of doing stubble using terradon turquoise as a glaze. I either didn’t thin it enough or it was just a bad colour choice so Felix looks like he’s eaten some bad seafood. I thought about repainting his face but not for long I spent more time thinking about the bases. It was either going to be squares to match my Glen Drookit Dwarfs or sexy round bases to make them look sexy. In the end I went with the rounds as I doubt they will ever be used in anger and spend their life’s as display pieces.

Felix

Felix

One of the other stand out minis from back in the day was the zombie dragon, which I recently built, but for now it’s back to the Skaven.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular Posts