Playing with contrast paints.

Everyone seems to be painting with contrast paints at the minute achieving varying results. After  picking up a few more pots I dove into a couple of minis that looked like good candidates for one thick coat.

Otherworld psionic slayer




First up is the otherworld miniatures psionic slayer. Using straight contrast wasn’t working out how I wanted but it did provide a good base to work from. The skin received some layering on top of the contrast before going over with the contrast again to tie it all together which gave a nice effect on his head spots something I will definitely be doing again. His robe was painted over completely and received some rough wet blending (the only kind I can do) this again was painted over with contrast which did a good job of tidying up my sloppy work. The edging of his robes was bit of  a Bob Ross moment. After applying the contrast I wanted to paint round the details leaving the light blue showing in the recesses. Unfortunately my brush control isn’t that great so my happy little accident became his new style. Having the same colour on his coller blends in too much with the skin but I really didn’t want to change it although red might have worked out better.




Spider man came in one of the pantheon of chaos kick starters. This is a great range of minis which  I never got round to painting although I have been looking at the  knightmare miniatures web site lately  thinking of all the stuff I could buy. This was an ideal mini for contrast paints and I’m happy with how the fur turned out using dry brushing and a wash on top. I used skeleton hoard to blend in the fangs and spikes as they were looking a little stark. I wanted to leave some areas with only contrast paints applied so I could come back later to see how it looked.  Sounds weird that I would need to check it later but I usually don’t like the look of what I’m painting until it’s finished and sometimes it takes a few days before I’m happy with it. The trousers were given two coats of creed camo, I resisted giving him purple Hulk trousers mostly because I don’t have any purple contrast, the top was painted flesh tearers red. His eyes were layered in silvers with a red contrast over the top.

Both minis were ones I had been wanting to paint but never seemed to get round to. I did manage to get through them reasonably quickly and the contrast paints were definitely a part of that. I will be using them in future although it will be as a wash or glaze. I’ve already started using them on my tabletop world building and plan on using them on the iron golems I just have to decide on red or green armour.

On holiday news my painting time was severely limited with almost nothing getting done. I did make it to Warhammer world although bringing a toddler went about as well as expected and sadly I never made it to foundry to buy some more orcs. Painting time at home has also taken a hit due to a new role at work so hopefully I can keep to a post a month.

If you find this post a bit long and boring try taking a shot every time I wrote contrast it made writing it more fun.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular Posts